[sword-devel] Comming soon: new improved sword searching

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:58:35 +0600

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> Good points.  It's even more important in some languages that have unusual
> inflectional morphology, like infixation (think of marking -ed for past
> tense in the middle of the word) and suprafixation (e.g. tone differences
> marking tense or person).  You probably COULD do these with &'s and |'s,
> but it would be more intuitive & simpler to construct a regex (at least to
> anyone who had ever seen a regex).

Great idea:

Add a new search operator, may be #word.

If libSword encounters a new word with this character it should call front-end
supplied callback which would asks us about how to search this.

E.g., we type:

    son & #child

Computer asks:

    what is search expression for "child"?

We type:

    child | children

The next time when we type "child" (not sure whether to require to precede it
with #) computer remembers that it should be searched as "child | children".

Then we can ask users to send us their (if high quality) databases and merge
these. Hopefully we will have a big database of the most often searched
strange words.
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)