[sword-devel] Is sword going non-gpl or proprietory?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:26:46 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:40, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > 	The PURPOSE of CrossWire is to release free opensource code.  A non-GPL
> > license issued to a publisher or Bible Society, as an exception, would
> > allow them to encorporate pieces of the project into their software
> > without making their software GPL.  These are the types of things that
> > we cannot do currently if we rely upon other pieces of code (like our
> > regex implementation) that don't allow this.
>
> LGPL will achieve this directly. Wrapping a CLI program ("engine") with a
> proprietary GUI will also achieve this with fully GPLed software.

I think you missed the point.  We can't put something under LGPL that is
non-GPL.  You can look back through our archives for discussions of why
LGPL is just the world's stupidest license because vagueries of GPL allow
any dynamic linking to not violate the license, making GPL == LGPL.  To
repeat: GPL (the current version) is an outdated license.  It would not
hold up in court.

We also don't want to be limited in what we can allow other organizations
or ourselves to do, since this is avoidable.

--Chris