[sword-devel] New Project Idea: MozSword

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:42:10 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 porton@narod.ru wrote:

> > Simple. MozSword will be a Mozilla sidebar tab that allows users to pick versions of
> > the Bible in the tab and to input search terms. The search will be processed by the
> > CGI version of Diatheke. These following versions of the english Bible will be used:
>
> _Diatheke is slow_ (especially because of using it with slow web servers).
> Consider my future Sword Server (It will serve through TCP). (I have hope to
> make the fist release inside two weeks...)

I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. Perhaps you're expecting
something other than what is actually happening or you're unclear on what
portions of the retrieval take the longest time.

First there's caching.  A machine that does multiple executions of
diatheke does need to reconstruct the SWMgr object multiple times.  But
most of the data it reads is cached, making this a minimal expenditure of
time (unless you have a very poor OS or a poor server).

The majority of time spent on a request is and always will be due to
network latency.  And you can't fix that.

The only real advantage of your idea comes when you start to see much more
traffic to the site.  Diatheke doesn't scale well, but a daemon would,
provided it can handle concurrent requests.

--Chris