[sword-devel] New Project Idea: MozSword

Steve Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 04:56:27 -0600 (MDT)

Chinese saying: Heros see the same foresights. - Bravo :)

I don't think you need to worry about language as long as utf-8 is
followed. I believe Mozilla is compatible now, or if not totally, will be
in a little while.

Before I bumped into Sword, I was getting myself ready for such an idea,
except that I thought a stand-alone s/w is more useful than server-client
mode. Unfortunately Java is 'very secure' and ActiveX is not my favorite
son. But I thought there should be a way for a browser script to activate
a 'trusted' local application and talk to it thru cookies. I actually had
it working in IE w/o going into any 'security holes' other browsers may
not allow.

I also wonder that when someone gave Sword permission to distribute that
translation in the forms we have already, does that mean you can have it
published on web as you suggested?

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 hoshie@cox.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:22:59 -0400
> From: hoshie@cox.net
> To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
> Subject: [sword-devel] New Project Idea: MozSword
>
> Hello All,
>
> I am planning on undertaking a new project. MozSword will use the Mozilla Sidebar. The sidebar allows you to store mini webpages about any topic. How does SWORD fit into this?
> Simple. MozSword will be a Mozilla sidebar tab that allows users to pick versions of the Bible in the tab and to input search terms. The search will be processed by the CGI version of Diatheke. These following versions of the english Bible will be used:
>
> A Conservative Version
> American Standard Version
> Bible in Basic English
> Bible in Worldwide English
> Douay-Rheims Bible, Challoner Revision
> Darby Bible
> International Standard Version
> King James Version
> Revised Standard Version
> Twentieth Century New Testament
> World English Bible
> Webster Bible
> Weymouth NT
> Young's Literal Translation
>
> (I am only using English versions since English is my native language.)
>
> MozSword will do a lot of good. MozSword will be a way to extend SWORD to OSes that do not have a front-end yet (BeOS, Solaris, Mac OS, OS/2, etc.) but have a version of Mozilla available for the OS (Mozilla is available for all of these OSes and more). It will also be a more easy way for Mozilla users to search the Bible without leaving their current webpage.
>
> There are a few sticky areas I have not resolved as yet that I am asking for RFCs on:
>
> 1. Hosting: I am planning to host the project on one of four places:
>
> a) MozDev
> b) SourceForge
> c) My own server
> d) Crosswire
>
> 2. Licenses: Mozilla is licensed under the MPL/LGPL/GPL. SWORD is under the GPL. I am planning to license under GPL; however I am undecided as of yet.
>
> 3. I'll need help with versions of MozSword with different Bible versions in different languages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joshua

Steve Tang...