[sword-devel] New Project Idea: MozSword

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:22:39 -0500

I think this is a great idea. But why stop at a simple Mozilla sidebar? Why
not an entire full featured Mozilla embedded XUL application?

For those not familiar with XUL, XUL is an XML-based User Interface
Language.
See
http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xptoolkit/
http://www.xulplanet.com/
http://mozilla.org/projects/embedding/

I have toyed around with XUL a little and it looks simple enough. I have put
together a Sword looking UI with it. See screenshots:
http://elbourne.org/sword/xul/screenshots/

Of course there is no real functionality to this yet, because quite frankly,
I have not learned that far yet. But it does give a glimpse at what is
possible. In the screenshots you will see that I have created the 4 box
model. with the Biblical text and commentaries on the top and the
lexicon/dictionary on the bottom. The boxes can be collapsed just like the
Mozilla sidebar.

Even in the quick little XUL interface I threw together, I can switch
between tabs for the different versions. Right now, regular old-fashioned
HTML pages are being displayed in the XUL rendition of inline frames, but
they do work.

Menu bars are easy to create with the built in XUL widgets. Menus can be
created on the fly, like for bookmarks and such. This is the way Mozilla
handles their bookmarks and Sword bookmarks would not be very different. The
dynamic data is stored in RDF.

the only menu function I have working now is the File>Exit  It is literaly
this simple:
<menuitem label="Exit" accesskey="x" oncommand="window.close();"/>

I do not have any dialogs done, but if you have seen the Mozilla browser,
you can see what is possible with XUL... just about everything.

Screenshots 5-7 show different Mozilla skins that are easy to implement and
drastically change the look of the client. Would that raise the coolness
factor or what? lol

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org