[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Todd Pedlar sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:04:26 -0400

--=====================_161843148==.ALT

At 12:41 PM 9/2/2002, fred smith wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 10:18:55AM -0400, Dan Bertles wrote:
> > How about including a basic doctrinal statement in the Sword Splash
> screen:
> >  "Believing Jesus always was and is God, born of a virgin to take away the
> > sin of mankind through His blood."
>
>I would certainly have no problem with that, as would most Christians.
>however, please understand that there ARE Christians who are not
>Trinitarians, i.e., they do not believe that the Jesus was in fact God.
>I don't see how they can believe that way, but they do. And the important
>thing (the heart of the matter) is that they trust that Jesus was God's
>servant whose death paves the way for our salvation.

Whoa.

Christians who do not accept Christ's divinity?  If Christ is
not God, then Christ cannot save.   Those who somehow believe
Christ will save them, but believe that he was only a man are
unsaved, Fred.  We can be accomodating to various strains of
orthodoxy - but any who believe that Christ is not God are not
Christians by any Biblical standard.   Let's not shy away from
proclaiming who Christ IS according to the Scriptures.

Todd

Todd K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics
todd@lns.cornell.edu Homepage: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~todd
Phone: (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607) 255-8062
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins
to blame somebody else.
                                                  --John Burroughs

--=====================_161843148==.ALT

At 12:41 PM 9/2/2002, fred smith wrote:<br>
-0400, Dan Bertles wrote:<br>
&gt; How about including a basic doctrinal statement in the Sword Splash
screen: <br>
&gt;&nbsp; &quot;Believing Jesus always was and is God, born of a virgin
to take away the <br>
&gt; sin of mankind through His blood.&quot;<br><br>
I would certainly have no problem with that, as would most
Christians.<br>
however, please understand that there ARE Christians who are not<br>
Trinitarians, i.e., they do not believe that the Jesus was in fact
God.<br>
I don't see how they can believe that way, but they do. And the
important<br>
thing (the heart of the matter) is that they trust that Jesus was
God's<br>
servant whose death paves the way for our salvation.<br>
Whoa.<br><br>
Christians who do not accept Christ's divinity?&nbsp; If Christ is<br>
not God, then Christ cannot save.&nbsp;&nbsp; Those who somehow
believe<br>
Christ will save them, but believe that he was only a man are <br>
unsaved, Fred.&nbsp; We can be accomodating to various strains of<br>
orthodoxy - but any who believe that Christ is not God are not<br>
Christians by any Biblical standard.&nbsp;&nbsp; Let's not shy away
from<br>
proclaiming who Christ IS according to the Scriptures.<br><br>
Todd<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Todd K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics <br>
Phone: (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607) 255-8062<br>
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins <br>
to blame somebody else. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
--John Burroughs<br>