[sword-devel] American Bible Society

Daniel Blake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:50:25 -0400

This is the same direction my thoughts were taking me.  I have been hearing
more lately about "seeker friendly churches" and other examples of how some
churches have decided to get people into the "church".

The bible clearly shows that God did not make His way "seeker friendly".
Jesus didn't tell the rich young ruler that he was doing fine and to follow
Him.  Jesus told him that he still lacked one thing.  One thing was enough
for Jesus to let this man walk away instead of following Jesus.  There are
many things God works with us on after we accept Jesus, but we must
remember, to be children of God, we must accept Jesus as LORD and Saviour.
We American's (this is a generalization) seem to have forgotten what Lord
means because we live in a democracy where we can vote and change anything
and everything.

The new statistic is that there are MORE divorces within christian churches
than there are in the world.  This is appalling!  Let us stop watering down
the Gospel so MANY people will "accept Jesus".  Lets tell it like it is and
have the truly repentant become disciples of Jesus and let the hard of heart
see that we live by different rules.  They will not understand, but they
will clearly see there is a difference.

I'll step off from my soap box now and stop preaching.  I am not saying that
anyone here has advocated any of these things.  I am just stating the stance
I would rather see taken.  If we create a fabulous tool people will use or
not use it based on it's ability not it's statement of faith.

Mathew 7:14
Because narrow [is] the gate and difficult [is] the way which leads to life,
and there are few who find it.

Gal 1:8-9
8. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you
than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other
gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Daniel Blake

Ed Sylvis wrote:

While I think that there are many doctrines that we as Christians can agree
and disagree on, there are many that we must be unified on. Since the The
Sword Project is a Christian endeavor, I think adopting such a phrase would
be dishonest. For instance, the Bible is God's revelation to us and is
divinely inspired; Jesus is the way, and the truth, and the life and no one
comes to the Father but through Him; Jesus is not simply the son of God, but
He is God the Son; and so on. These are doctrinal positions upon which our
faith stands or falls. Should the doctrine of the resurrection of Christ be
endorsed? As Paul so aptly put it, "and if Christ has not been raised, your
faith is worthless; you are still in your sins." I Cor 15:17 NASV

I am saying this in love and and respectfully disagreeing with you, Barry. I
doubt that you had this type of doctrine in mind when you posted your
suggestion, but essential doctrine is necessary if we are to call ourselves
Christian.

Respectfully in Christ,

-Ed Sylvis