BOUNCE sword-devel@crosswire.org: Non-member submission from ["Ed Sylvis" <Ed@dhcppc2>]

owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:19:34 -0700

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:12:33 -0700
From: "Ed Sylvis" <Ed@dhcppc2>
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] American Bible Society

>On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:06, Barry Drake wrote:
> While on the ABS
> website getting a contact e-mail address, I spotted this among their
> aims: "Producing materials that avoid endorsing or advocating any
> doctrinal positions."  I quite like that phrase.  Maybe we could adopt it
> for Sword?

While I think that there are many doctrines that we as Christians can agree
and disagree on, there are many that we must be unified on. Since the The
Sword Project is a Christian endeavor, I think adopting such a phrase would
be dishonest. For instance, the Bible is God's revelation to us and is
divinely inspired; Jesus is the way, and the truth, and the life and no one
comes to the Father but through Him; Jesus is not simply the son of God, but
He is God the Son; and so on. These are doctrinal positions upon which our
faith stands or falls. Should the doctrine of the resurrection of Christ be
endorsed? As Paul so aptly put it, "and if Christ has not been raised, your
faith is worthless; you are still in your sins." I Cor 15:17 NASV

I am saying this in love and and respectfully disagreeing with you, Barry. I
doubt that you had this type of doctrine in mind when you posted your
suggestion, but essential doctrine is necessary if we are to call ourselves
Christian.

Respectfully in Christ,

-Ed Sylvis

--------------090503040009070300040502--