[sword-devel] BibleCS 1.4.5rc2

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 23:59:26 +0800

>Also I'm not sure how these locale files work. I use win2k with En(US)

Windows handles its menus and dialogfields usually in a non-unicode
manner. Frankly speaking, if you select the Chinese locale on a
*English* version of Windows, I'd be *very* surprised if you would see
the menu bar etc. displayed in Chinese characters. It should only work
on a Chinese version of Windows.

Actually, I can get it to work here by loading the NJStar
Communicator. (Now I know that the help menu is called "shuo
ming". Interesting.) But for Sword to provide that functionality, it
would need to do all the menu item drawing and dialog item string
drawing etc. itself. That's a lot of work to implement and probably
would make sword a lot slower also.

Also, the locale files are not supposed to be in UTF-8. Because
Windows is not using UTF-8 itself! For example, it would be wrong to
have the German locale files in UTF-8 -- because Windows uses ISO
8859-1 to display them. Gibberish will occur. Likewise, the Chinese
version of Windows probably uses GB respectively Big 5 internally to
represent the text, so the locale file needs to be in that character set.
(I am guessing here.)

I do fear this applies even up to XP, but I'd love to hear otherwise :-)

>locale. The bible texts box, lexicon box, search dialog show Chinese
>correctly.

Because they are using a special control that is Unicode-aware -- or
rather was made Unicode-aware by our tireless hackers :-)

>But the edit boxes next to Search button don't show Chinese,

Because this is one of the standard windows elements that is not
Unicode-aware.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"The worst attitude of all would be the professional attitude which regards
children in the lump as a sort of raw material which we have to handle."
    -- C.S. Lewis, On Three Ways of Writing for Children