[sword-devel] The OSIS Vision vs STEP

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:49:47 -0700

Hey guys,
	I would love for the STEP tools to work!  Spent alot of time on them.
My hope was to first build the import tools, then migrate the code into
a full blown driver for sword that would be able to read STEP modules
without conversion.

	The original problem we had when doing the STEP code is that STEP
provides a tree structure index.  When we did the code originally, we
didn't support general books (tree structure indexing).  Now we do.  We
should revisit these tools.  It should be trivial to create a step2gbs
(step to general book support) converter.  The Bibles would show up as
general books, instead of Bibles, however.  But you could still use the
step2vpl converter for Bibles-- which, someone should debug.

	All this to say: NO, STEP support will not be 'dropped'.  I'd like to
support as many formats as possible; it's just a question of time and
resources.  Anyone else feel the desire to own the completion these tools?

	-Troy.