[sword-devel] XML->IMP GUI-tool

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:28:21 +0100

Hi there,

I mentioned a while ago that I used a CCEL.org XML file to create a
Sword module. I promised to get back to Joachim -- sorry it took so
long! The reason is that I was captivated by a Perl GUI programming
frenzy :-) . I needed to test-drive a GUI toolkit, so I decided to
create a GUI tool for the same task.

You can get it at

http://www.web42.com/software/sword/ccel2imp/

There are some screnshots, and a READ_ME_NOW.txt. For Windows users, I
prepared a distribution zip file that includes perl and the necessary
modules. There's also a zip file that just includes source, and the
source code of the original commandline-tool.

The XML translation is very basic. Please don't laugh when you look at
it :). It is more a proof of concept. The idea is to only parse the
tags that are known and ignore the rest. I envision that with an
extended parser that parses the attributes as well and allows for the
inclusion of custom rules (that could be specified via a GUI), most
CCEL files could easily be transformed to GBS format. And I think I
really should finally set up a C-Compiler, so I can use the Swig
bindings...

A note for editing the final content using the tree display: You can
drag-and-drop nodes in the tree to copy them, and delete them by
clicking on them using your right mouse button. It's a bit clumsy,
sorry.

Let me know what you think...

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised
by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument."
    -- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man