[sword-devel] KDE3 on MacOS

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

This is very cool.  I guess the fink guys were either lying when they said
KDE couldn't run on Mac (it was a filesystem-related hurdle because KDE is
so ext2-dependent) or KDE3 has changed enough to make it possible where
previous versions weren't.

At the same time, this is not a solution to the lack of a Sword frontend
for Mac.  Besides, GNOME has run on MacOS X for over a year, so we could
have worked hard to get GnomeSword running on OS X and just pointed people
to that all this time.

The problems are, fink is a huge install, X11 is a huge install, and X11
is not Quartz.  Furthermore, while this is a partial solution for MacOS X
users, it still leaves Mac OS Classic users behind.  The full solution is
for us to develop two native Mac frontends, one for OS X and one for
Classic.  It sounds like we have a couple independent efforts to develop
native OS X frontends, using the different toolkits available.  And the
Spatha project could serve as a MacOS Classic native frontend, since it
will be based on wxWindows, which is supported by MacOS Classic (provided
someone with CodeWarrior will compile it).

--Chris