[sword-devel] Some new pages

William J Richie sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 21:03:38 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for responding to the letter I sent.

I think the best way to help you focus in on what I may be able to do for
the Sword Project is to let you know what resources I have at my
disposal. So let me tell you about the books I have which relate to
computing.

1. Using MS Dos 6.22
2. A+ Certification (I am not A+ certified)
3. Upgrade and Maintenance Guide
4. Teach Yourself Visually HTML
5. Absolute Beginners Guide to Programming
6. How Computers Work
7. Microsoft Computer Dictionary
8. Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications

Now let me tell you about the program I used to make the Web Page I sent
you. I used CoffeeCup 6.0. This is a WYSIWYG HTML editor, and it is very
easy to use.

And here are the grammar books I have.

1. English Grammar and Composition by John E. Warriner.
2. The Grammar Bible by Michael Strumpf and Auriel Douglas
3. NTC’s Guide to Grammar Terms by Richard A. Spears, Ph.D.
4. The Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William D. Mounce

Now I will give you a little background experience about my writing.
Well, I have done a lot of posting on Christian message boards. But where
I really feel I have a gift is the ability to put myself in the other
person’s shoes and ask:

1. What level of knowledge does this person have?
2. How can I best convey the knowledge needed so this person can get
results?

And so this is basically what I asked when I edited the "Writers Needed"
page. My first task was to try and figure out your need, and then I
worked on how best to convey your need to someone else so they could take
the necessary step to help us with our needs. I hope this helps a little.

But as far as writing instructions for technical documentation, I guess I
don’t have too much experience. The "Notice" page which I made is as
close to writing anything technical I have ever done, and it is the only
thing I have ever done.

I also have a CD Burner and I can send copies of the Sword Project to
others. I have about 75 blank CD’s. Also, I have 5 x 5 envelopes for them
to go in and I could just send them out like that; with a label on the CD
itself, of course. And the shipping for sending it in this manner is 57
cents. (In fact, this is how I got my Juno 4.0 when I first came on the
net. Juno sent it to me in a envelope similar to the 5 x 5 envelopes I
have.) I just insert the CD and a 100lb index card which gives the
envelope enough sturdiness around the edges. Then I slap on a shipping
label and drop it in the mailbox. I'm still waiting to get my Sword
Project CD.

I can’t think of anything else right off the top of my head. I like to
edit things but only for the purpose of presenting something in a more
clear and concise manner. I like details.

Well, I guess I better go for now. It might be a good idea to assign a
person to me and a goal, and then let us communicate a little and see if
we can reach it.

William