[sword-devel] Mac OS X make errors

nic sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:34:10 +1100

Hmmm, interesting...  Am looking at my own system (OS X 10.1.3 build
5Q45) and I have no Makefile.cfg issues...  altho I have other issues...
comments first:  my system is completely up to date (says Nic as he just
double checks with apple! -- yes, I think so!) and so perhaps the whole
config system with sword requires a newer version of configure?  ran
./usrinst.sh and then make, as Chris did, (on a cvs grab of sword, which
tells me it's 1.5.3), and the problems I ran into were to do with:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile c++  -DUNIX  -I. -I. -I..
-I../include    -g -O0 -Werror -c -o swmgr.lo `test -f
../src/mgr/swmgr.cpp || echo './'`../src/mgr/swmgr.cpp
c++ -DUNIX -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -g -O0 -Werror -c
../src/mgr/swmgr.cpp -Wp,-MD,.deps/swmgr.TPlo
In file included from /usr/include/dirent.h:64,
                  from ../src/mgr/swmgr.cpp:26:
/usr/include/sys/dirent.h:73: syntax error before `;'
/usr/include/sys/dirent.h:74: syntax error before `;'
/usr/include/sys/dirent.h:75: syntax error before `;'
/usr/include/sys/dirent.h:76: syntax error before `;'
make[2]: *** [swmgr.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

have had a li'l look into it and OS X wants to have dirent.h included
later on in swmgr.cpp (I moved it to just above all the sword .h files,
and it works fine, altho localemgr.cpp complains of the same, fixable
via the same method)...  it ends up producing the 12mb libsword.a file
in lib/.libs, which is all cool and fine and dandy, and then dies doing
the testlib, with:

Making all in .
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link c++  -g -O0 -Werror   -o testlib
testlib.o -Llib -lsword -lstdc++ -lz
libtool: link: cannot find the library `'
make[2]: *** [testlib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

but I don't have time to go into that atm, but as long as my beloved OS
X can produce our beloved sword lib, I'm happy...  :)  I guess I should
see if it works, but gotta go!  :)

on another note, I'm currently unable to look into doing a Mac OS
frontend as I've somehow managed to get this really cool job where the
evangelistic opportunities are huge, so am lacking a lot of time...
perhaps in a few months when things calm down I'll either take another
look at it, or get stuck into the java port (my old job in the computer
industry was along those lines) and hopefully have that as the Mac
version...  :)

keep up the awesome work guys, and God Bless...  oh, and does anyone
know of a concordance that exists for the Palm OS?  I find that the
search speed on Palm bible readers aren't all that great, and would
rather just a dumb search instead (an index!)...  size isn't an issue,
as I have quite a bit of space available atm for it...  of course,
opensource is what I'm looking for, altho I'm not restricting myself to
it...  thanks!  :)

ybic
	nic...  :)