[sword-devel] newbie problem making a module

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:22:25 -0700

> I ended up using the long names shown in canon.h, and got it to work once
> I spelled Corinthians, not Cornithians. But the error message sure is
> non-helpful.

It's hard to suggest that there is a better system than what we have
presently for dealing with this problem.

The verse parser takes whatever has been identified as the verse and
tries to figure out which verse is the closest match.  If you give a
partial book name (or abbreviation), it will probably figure out the
correct book that you meant.  If you misspell something, as you have
noticed, it reverts to the default verse (Gen 1:1 for vpl2mod).  This is
another good argument for using abbreviations since fewer letters equal
fewer opportunities for misspelling. :)

Maybe we should just add printing of the verse reference itself (before
it has been parsed) along with the warning that the verse is being
overwritten.

--Chris