[sword-devel] New module: Chinese dictionary

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:58:03 +0200

Hello Christian,

I can only comment on this one:

> - There is some confusion with the code tables used to display text in
>   the windows software. Apparently, in the bible text windows the text
>   is displayed as GB2312 rather than UTF-8. The search combo box uses
>   the system font, which is not capable of displaying anything else
>   than iso8859-1 on my machine, so I don't see character at all. (Have
>   to try out Windows 2000, though. Might be better on that platform.)
>
>   What is the situation for other platforms (Linux, Mac OS X)? Is the
>   text of the Glory Union Bible displayed as GB2312 also? If yes, I
>   could try to keep the definitions as UTF-8, but encode the search
>   terms as GB2312.

You should encode everything in UTF-8 if possible. The GB2312 (whatever that
is) stuff is likely to be a conversion done by windows. On the Linux (KDE)
side everything works with Unicode internally.
Thanks for your work! Many people can benefit from Chinese modules.

Martin