[sword-devel] R/w CVS

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:41:56 +0200

Hello Victor,

[snip]

> And one more silly thing: an Judaist has said me: Christians read Torah
> without vowels (Would I want to find these brothers!) and get things like
> "a Son of God". If at that moment I would be of Judaism religion, I would
> convert to Christ that second!
>
> Well, being more exact: I am going not just "introduce new vowel patterns",
> but even consider the Hebrew text without vowels at all with "holy grammar"
> without vowels.

Hm. Could I ask which to faith / religion you belong? It is certainly NOT
mainstream christianity.
I just exchanged a few mails with my Hebrew teacher. He says that even
ultraorthodox Bible fundamentalists accept the masoretic vowel system, which
has been transmitted to us in a very good and trustworthy way, though one
could argue if the vowels are inspired or not. Is this your own teaching or
can you suggest books / people to me that I can refer to in order to
understand your teaching better?

> I think I shouldn't be very careful because God has said me "I will
> separate". Because of this prophecy it seems that someday the projects will
> be splitten. (I don't know whether it may happen because of religios
> reasons or just because of some technical ones.)

This really made me wonder. You know, I and many other people here want to
live according to the Bible (you cannot argue about vowels in the NT). And
the Bible says:

  Gal 5:19.20 "Now the works of the flesh are clear, which are these:  ...
divisions, false teachings"
  I Cor 1:10	 "Now I make request to you, my brothers, in the name of our Lord
Jesus Christ, that you will all say the same thing, and that there may be no
divisions among you, so that you may be in complete agreement, in the same
mind and in the same opinion."

That does not mean that we must always agree on every thing. But seeking
divisions is very problematic in my opinion, and certainly a work of the
flesh rather than the spirit.
Given that you are a priori _aiming_ at division, plus trying to spread false
teaching, I am sorry to tell you that your contributions to BibleTime are NOT
welcome. You are free to fork the code and continue your own stuff, but we
will not allow you to spread your teaching trough our project. I only speak
for the BibleTime project, but I want to encourage other project leaders to
at least be very careful. Don't let your projects be misused.

> P.P.S. My mission was committed by wonders ...

I shall not accept this argument as valid. The New Testament makes it clear
that everything has to be judged, and only the good should be kept. I am not
suggesting that the following verse applies to you directly, but it certainly
makes clear that false teaching is not acceptable, even if it comes from an
angel who performs signs and wonders.

Gal 1:8 "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, were to be a preacher to you
of good news other than that which we have given you, let there be a curse on
him."

Martin