[sword-devel] Reliability with wrong input?

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 05:49:57 +1000

Chris Little wrote:

> Dealing with errors in a frontend seems like a good idea from the
> standpoint of robustness, but I would much prefer if it were not done
> because it hinders bug reporting.  An example would be the JFB module.
> It's bad XML, which should be corrected in the module.  If it is
> corrected in the frontend, it will be more difficult to discover such
> errors because they don't appear as tiny text.

There is a difference between detecting & reporting and fixing.  If the application
crashes, you're not likely to get a decent bug report, just a frustrated user.  If
they get an error dialog that says "this module is bad, please report it to this
email address..." you're much more likely to get a helpful report, IMHO.

Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net

P.S.  Did my message about RSV versification get through?