[sword-devel] [possibly OT, certainly META] fireside

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:10:18 +0800

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 02:27, Chris Little wrote:
>> NB: any persons seeing this as an invitation to theological debate may
>> argue amongst themselves at news://crosswire.org/crosswire.fireside.

> So, that said, you have three options:
> 1) Move your discussion to crosswire.fireside, private email, or
> anywhere you like that is not on this list.
> 2) Continue your discussion and be removed from this mailing list.
> 3) Unsubscribe yourself from the mailing list and save us the trouble of
> removing you if you can't display the self control required to NOT press
> that reply button.

The bug in this is that generally only one side of a debate goes to fireside,
which is then left to languish unless two people of similar views settle down
to discussing fine points.

IMHO there would be a lot more value in the fireside discussions if they were
also accessible as a mailing list, then potential participants would not need
to acquire a new toolset or at least skillset in order to continue working
through differences together.

I find I generally (not always) get far more value from disagreements between
people of widely divergent views than from people patting each other on the
back, provided that those people are committed enough to what they're saying
to hang around and address the answers to their broadcasts.

If nothing else, fireside could be the foundation of a FAQ-ish module, a
collection of more-or-less-lay people's comments on and in relation to
specific Bible texts.

Cheers; Leon