[sword-devel] Copyright Law

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:12:16 -0800

> I am also a little blurry on copyrights pertaining to
> translations that were done by a committee, since the life of
> the author seems to play into the length of the copyright.
> Does anyone know how this applies?

Corporate works have 95 years of copyright protection (up from 75
years).  So the NIV will go into public domain in 2068.  :)

> Would the "Reina Valera rev 1960" in Spanish fall into this
> category?  I think their copyright would then end in 2010,
> and it IS the most read bible version is Spanish.  Maybe the
> shortening of their copyright period would prod them into
> letting the Sword Project use it earlier.
>
> What about the Old testament of the RSV, copyrighted in 1952?

At best, we can expect 20 years worth of works to go into public domain.
That includes mostly works produced around 1930.  So the RSV and 1960
Reina Valera would still be copyrighted, but many of the ca. 1930 works
we have would be freed.  That (may) include the 1930 Reina Valera, the
1933 Danish Bible, My Utmost for His Highest, etc.

We don't really need to worry about the RSV, however, since we have an
edition free for non-commercial distribution.

--Chris