[sword-devel] Copyright warning

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:30:41 -0700

I like your generous warning, Don. However, one can not reproduce or
distribute a GPL work in a proprietary form. So it would be good if "freely
distributable under the GNU public license" would clearly convey the idea
of complying with the terms of the license. The license is shown in a
scrollable window in next screen. But most people probably just skip it
without scrolling.

There is another issue. If this only applied to the program and not the
modules, things are simple. But if the program and modules are being
installed together, one may think that the GPL applies to program and
modules. However, modules are a problem. Some have no license, such as the
locked ones, big problem. Some are PD, no problem. Some are licensed as
non-commercial use only. There is even one module that combines PD portions
with portions licensed for non-commercial use only.

Anybody have an idea for addressing that?

One thought would be to add something to the warning message we have been
discussing, to indicate that the modules carry various licenses and that
terms for copying and distributing vary from license to license.

Jerry