[sword-devel] Sword Installation

Bill Caskey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:01:13 -0600

I generally lurk and have followed the discussion of improving the
installation of Sword for Linux. I have downloaded and distributed the Sword
CD to many people in the Kansas City area and to missionaries that come
through my church. As a result, I also provide technical support for them.
The comment about not expecting Linux users to be as computer savvy as a few
years ago is very true and will become even more so as Linux continues to
develop as a desktop environment. Accordingly, one other thing worth
considering is having the stable releases of Sword, GnomeSword, and
BibleTime not be based on or require the latest development releases of
various modules for each distribution (i.e., work out of the box or compile
with the current releases of major distributions). The general user will
probably set up their system, install their software, and not update their
system until the next major release for their distribution is available.

My thanks to all of the developers working on Sword, GnomeSword, and
BibleTime. Truly you are doing a great work. As a former developer, I do
understand the efforts you are giving.

Bill Caskey