[sword-devel] Collaboration efforts for a front end

Eeli Kaikkonen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:08:21 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Matthew Donadio wrote:

> Do wxWindows applications behave nicely with the environment that they
> are running under?  I think the reason for BibleTime and GnomeSword both
> existing is that they are specifically deigned for KDE and Gnome,
> respecitevely.

In Linux world it seems to be impossible to get everyone behind one
project. Each widged set and desktop environment have it's own pros and
cons. In this case different text encodings is important. Does wxwindows
handle unicode, bi-di etc.?

> IMHO, the thing that is missing is cooperation from the various
> commercial publishers for making their works available in a standard
> format.  For example, I have Anchor Bible Dictionary and Expositor's
> Commentary on my short list of books to get.  New International
> Dictionary of New Testament Theology and/or Kittel's books may join the
> list, too.  They are all available electronically, but AFAIK, they are
> all incompatible with each other.  Add to that the fact that most modern
> texts are locked.  I don't know what to do, other than stick to physical
> books.

The future of a binary proprietary format is always uncertain. I
wouldn't by an expensive book if I wasn't sure I can read it after 10
years. A Bible reading program you have now probably won't work after 5
years on your updated computer and OS.

  Sincerely Yours,
      Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko@paju.oulu.fi> Suomi Finland