[sword-devel] Maps, etc

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:28:21 +0500

> Please don't misattribute the quote to me; I didn't say to use GIF.
> PostScript is practically completely open, and encapsulated PostScript is
> something of a standard for graphics import.  Everything can print to
> PostScript -- it's an ideal language for maps, since maps aren't images,
> they're graphics.

We don't need namely *encaspulated* PostScript, this "encaspulation" is only for high quality typography. (However if we will use PostScript, better, yes, is encaspulated one.) I'm not sure whether PDF has analogous "encaspulation" features like PostScript, but as "encaspulation" is not important for us we in any case better to use PDF than PostScript (PDF is much smaller and faster).

Free GhostScript (as well as some costly software from Adobe) can convert Postscript<->PDF, but does it AFAIK not very well, we need to check if enough well. Acrobat Reader or Xpdf (both free) can convert PDF->Postscript.

P.S. For these who don't know: PDF and PS are formats intended for multipage images of book's pages and like. Many typographies use these. There are several freeware/opensource viewers for both formats.
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)