[sword-devel] Maps, etc

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:39:29 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Whether that is a SWORD issue or not is up to interpretation.  Personally, it
> would be nice to have an interface to a GIS, with some mapping data
> available, but not in the core SWORD distribution, unless you do want just
> simple PostScript or other format images to be displayed.  PostScript is good
> simply because the interpreter is to be found already for virtually all
> SWORD-supported platforms, in the form of GhostScript.  PostScript is by
> nature scalable, rotatable, and in general highly mungable.

Just an issue to think of: Is the fileformat an open standard? To me at
least GIF is a no-go issue.

Another issue is that (small) images would be a very usefull addition when
it comes to comments and such. You could spend a booklet to describe
something which might be made clear with just a simple picture.

I'm sorry I can't scratch the itch. I just don't happen to be a
programmer. (At least I don't want to call me a programmer.)

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.