[sword-devel] clean bible or bad phantasy?

John Gardner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:41:08 -0800

I too believe in an in errant scripture.  And that I truly have the word of
God.  At the same time, I don't think we can know which "original" text is
the absolute correct one ( 1:1 word correspondence with the original letter
penned by by the original authors). Or the translation. I don't believe that
I must have the perfect original text or the perfect translation.  And what
I am reacting against is this sort of fear that unless I have all those
things I can't function as Christian.  No, I feel more a need for an
obedient perfect heart than I do for perfect texts and translation.  In my
way of thinking, people who have to have everything completely "untainted"
by man really reveal unbelief in the all sufficiency of God. This God who is
able to sovereignly bring the promised Messiah via the lineage of a harlot!

I am not a language scholar.  I guess what I meant by Christ using the
septuagint is that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John quote Christ and I believe
those quotes are from the septuagint.