[sword-devel] BibleCS 1.5.4 Release Candidate 1

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:53:32 -0700 (MST)

I spot one major bug in the binary that has been pointed out a few times.
It's my bug, but someone with more Borland experience should fix it.  In
the Special Modules tab of the Preferences dialog, the Show Glossaries as
Dictionaries tab will always come up as checked when the box opens.  The
behavior of this box should be checked out & fixed.

My other comments are related to the distribution.

I notice we already have localized bitmaps.  As I mentioned in a previous
thread, this is a very bad thing.  Text in images is one of the cardinal
very bad things when it comes to i18n.  Rather than adding as many new
graphics with different text in as many new locales as we add, the text
should be removed from the basic images.  Everyone ought to be able to
figure out what an icon means.  If they can't, tooltips should be used,
the graphic should be redesigned so that it conveys its meaning better, or
*possibly* text can be added to the button, but *not* the graphic.

We have locales for "fr" and "fr_FR.ISO-8859-1" that are identical except
for the locale name.  Why?  Is this something to do with automatic locale
configuration in Linux?  If so, this is not the way to handle it.

A couple of the color scheme files referenced fonts that we cannot use
(namely a couple of non-Unicode fonts).  Now that the files are in CVS,
hopefully these changes won't get clobbered, but in the future, remember
not to use MS Serif or MS Sans Serif for anything.

Also, please hold off on a release until I can get us updated to ICU 2.2.
I've got one more Borland idiosyncrasy to hunt down, then all I need to do
is integrate our data files & nuke some of theirs, so this shouldn't take
very long.

--Chris