[sword-devel] Win32 beta X

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:40:01 +0800

>Why has WebstersDict.conf got Font=Code2000?

Aah.. that explains some things! WebstersDict always showed in a weird
font unless I selected a font manually. I don't have Code2000
installed, so Windows choose one of those fancy script-fonts I have.
I think this might potentially confuse new users a lot.

I opt for not using Font= entries automatically, especially for
something as basic as Webster's, and propose the following
alternatives:

- Make them optional and a list of fonts; ie. on first usage (=
  nothing noted in userprefs.conf and module is selected) prompt the
  user: "This module requires a special font to be displayed
  correctly. It recommends the following fonts:

  Code 2000, Arial Unicode MS, MS Song

  Please use the following list to select a font that should be used"
  (and the list displays all fonts on the system).

- Same, but do not prompt. Instead, silently select one of the fonts
  given in the Font=  entry. If none are present, use the default font
  selected.

Greetings,
    Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"It's so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see one."  -- C.S. Lewis