[sword-devel] Personal Commentaries / Unicode input methods

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 01:10:46 -0700

Christian Renz wrote:
>> correctly. However in the personal commentary, the Thai book name was not
>> displayed correctly (upper ANSI characters instead).
>

> That is a different issue -- the personal commentary does not seem to
> be able to deal with Unicode at the moment. Give them guys some time :-)

Thanks for the encouragement, Christian.  I tried to see if there was a
quick fix for this problem.  I reproduced the problem once by pasting
from an Arabic module into the personal commentary.  I did, indeed, see
upper ascii values.  Then when I went to edit the same entry, it display
Arabic.  Then when I went to save, it display Arabic!  Not sure the
silliness that's going on, but I think you can save unicode entries in
the personal commentary, right now, if you play with it a bit.

Having said that, we added a series of classes ported from our Java code
for the stuff we did with Project Leningradensis.  These classes will
allow selection of alternate keyboard mappings for various unicode
ranges.  We have a couple different Hebrew mappings written, and it is
quite easy to add additional mappings.  Hopefully we'll actually get
them wired up for the personal commentary stuff soon.  Anyone that wants
  to try their hand at this is welcome.  The classes are in the source
sword/src/frontend/im (input methods).  Actually, just checked and we
only ported on of the Hebrew input methods-- the Michigan Claremont
mappings.  But it should be enough to start with.  The other mappings
are in the jsword repository.

Hope this helps and gives you an idea of where we were planning on going
with support for other language input methods.  Please let us know your
ideas and comments on this.

	Thanks,
		-Troy.