[sword-devel] An off topic, but seeming necessary email

David Trotz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:39:31 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C1DCC8.D804D5D0

David,
That was a good letter, I liked reading it, I rarely read those types of =
letters since I get them so often in my email, but this one I read. I =
went ahead and checked it's validity... Here is what I found, not too =
far from the truth http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/theroom.htm It =
is a shame Christians feel they must embelish stories to get people to =
read them. Thanks again for sharing David.
In Christ,
David Trotz
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Overcash=20
  To: sword-devel@crosswire.org=20
  Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 4:00 PM
  Subject: [sword-devel] An off topic, but seeming necessary email

  Hey guys,
  I got this email today, really brought me to think on a lot so I =
thought I would forward it:

  The story behind the story "The Room". 17-year-old Brian Moore had =
only a
  short time to write something for a class. The subject was what Heaven =
was
  like. "I wowed 'em," he later told his father, Bruce. "It's a killer, =
It's
  the bomb. It's the best thing I ever wrote." It also was the last. =20

  Brian's parents had forgotten about the essay when a cousin found it =
while
  cleaning out the teenager's locker at Teary Valley High School. Brian =
had
  been dead only hours, but his parents desperately wanted every piece =
of his
  life near them-notes from classmates and teachers, his homework. =20

  Only two months before, he had handwritten the essay about =
encountering
  Jesus in a file room full of cards detailing every moment of the =
teen's life
  But it was only after Brian's death that Beth and Bruce Moore realized =
that
  their son had described his view of heaven. It makes such an impact =
that
  people want to share it. You feel like you are there." Mr. Moore said. =
=20

  Brian Moore died May 27, 1997, the day after Memorial Day. He was =
driving
  home from a friend's house when his car went off Bulen-Pierce Road in
  Pickaway County and struck a utility pole. He emerged from the wreck
  unharmed but stepped on a downed power line and was electrocuted.=20

  The Moores framed a copy of Brian's essay and hung it among the family
  portraits in the living room. "I think God used him to make a point. I =
think
  we were meant to find it and make something out of it, " Mrs. Moore =
said of
  the essay. She and her husband want to share their son's vision of =
life
  after death. "I'm happy for Brian. I know he's in heaven. I know I'll =
see
  him. =20

  The Room... =20

  In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in the =
room.
  There were no distinguishing features except for the one wall covered =
with
  small index card files. They were like the ones in libraries that list
  titles by author or subject in alphabetical order. But these files, =
which
  stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly endless in either =
direction,
  had very different headings.=20

  As I drew near the wall of files, the first to catch my attention was =
one
  that read "Girls I have liked." I opened it and began flipping through =
the
  cards. I quickly shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the =
names
  written on each one. And then without being told, I knew exactly where =
  was. This lifeless room with its small files was a crude catalog =
system for
  my life. Here were written the actions of my every moment, big and =
small, in
  a detail my memory couldn't match. =20

  A sense of wonder and curiosity, coupled with horror, stirred within =
me as
  I began randomly opening files and exploring their content. Some =
brought joy
  and sweet memories; others a sense of shame and regret so intense that =
  would look over my shoulder to see if anyone was watching.=20

  A file named "Friends" was next to one marked "Friends I have =
betrayed."
  The titles ranged from the mundane to the outright weird. "Books I =
Have
  Read," "Lies I Have Told," "Comfort I have Given," "Jokes I Have =
Laughed
  at." Some were almost hilarious in their exactness: "Things I've =
yelled at
  my brothers." Others I couldn't laugh at: "Things I Have Done in My =
Anger,"
  "Things I Have Muttered Under My Breath at My Parents." I never ceased =
to be
  surprised by the contents.  =20

  Often there were many more cards than I expected. Sometimes fewer than =
  hoped. I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the life I had lived. =
Could
  it be possible that I had the time in my years to each of these =
thousands or
  even millions of cards? But each card confirmed this truth. Each was =
written
  in my own handwriting. Each signed with my signature.   >=20

  When I pulled out the file marked "TV Shows I have watched ," I =
realized
  the files grew to contain their contents. The cards were packed =
tightly, and
  yet after two or three yards, I hadn't found the end of the file. I =
shut it,
  shamed, not so much by the quality of shows but more by the vast time =
I knew
  that file represented. When I came to a file marked "Lustful =
Thoughts," I
  felt a chill runthrough my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, =
not
  willing to test its size, and drew out a card. I shuddered at its =
detailed
  content. I felt sick to think that such a moment had been recorded.    =

  An almost animal rage broke on me. One thought dominated my mind: No =
one
  must ever see these cards! No one must ever see this room! I have to =
destroy
  them!" In insane frenzy I yanked the file out. Its size didn't matter =
now. I
  had to empty it and burn the cards. But as I took it at one end and =
began
  pounding it on the floor, I could not dislodge a single card. I became
  desperate and pulled out a card, only to find it as strong as steel =
when I
  tried to tear it. Defeated and utterly helpless, I returned the file =
to its
  slot. =20

  Leaning my forehead against the wall, I let out a long, self-pitying =
sigh.
  And then I saw it.. The title bore "People I Have Shared the Gospel =
With."
  The handle was brighter than those around it, newer, almost unused.

  I pulled on its handle and a small box not more than three inches long
  fell into my hands. I could count the cards it contained on one hand. =
And
  then the tears came. I began to weep. Sobs so deep that they hurt. =
They
  started in my stomach and shook through me. I fell on my knees and =
cried. I
  cried out of shame, from the overwhelming shame of it all. The rows of =
file
  shelves swirled in my tear-filled eyes. No one must ever, ever know of =
this
  room. I must lock it up and hide the key.=20

  But then as I pushed away the tears, I saw Him. No, please not Him. =
Not
  here Oh, anyone but Jesus. I watched helplessly as He began to open =
the
  files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His response. And =
in the
  moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a sorrow =
deeper than
  my own.

  He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. Why did He have to =
read
  every one? Finally He turned and looked at me from across the room. He
  looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a pity that didn't =
anger
  me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands and began to cry =
again.
  He walked over and put His arm around me. He could have said so many =
things.
  But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.=20

  Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one =
end
  of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His =
name over
  mine on each card. "No!" I shouted rushing to Him. All I could find to =
say
  was "No, no," as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on =
these
  cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. =
The name
  of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood.. He gently took =
the
  card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the cards.=20
   =20
  I don't think I'll ever understand how He did it so quickly, but the =
next
  instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my =
side.
  He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, "It is finished." I stood =
up,
  and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on its door. There =
were
  still cards to be written.=20
  =20
   "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ---Phil. =
4:13=20

  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, that whoever
  believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." ---John 3:16=20

  If you feel the same way forward it to as many people as you can so =
the
  love of Jesus will touch their lives also. My "People I shared the =
gospel
  with" file just got bigger, how about yours?

  -David Overcash
  webmaster@eurosoccerclub.net
  AIM: FunnyLookinHat

  ---

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C1DCC8.D804D5D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>David,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That was a good letter, I liked reading =
it, I=20
rarely read those types of letters since I get them so often in my =
email, but=20
this one I read. I went ahead and checked it's validity... Here is what =
I found,=20
not too far from the truth <A=20
href=3D"http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/theroom.htm">http://www.trut=
horfiction.com/rumors/theroom.htm</A>&nbsp;It=20
is a shame Christians feel they must embelish stories to get people to =
read=20
them. Thanks again for sharing David.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In Christ,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>David Trotz</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dwebmaster@eurosoccerclub.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:webmaster@eurosoccerclub.net">David Overcash</A> </DIV>
title=3Dsword-devel@crosswire.org=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:sword-devel@crosswire.org">sword-devel@crosswire.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, April 05, 2002 =
4:00=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [sword-devel] An off =
topic, but=20
  seeming necessary email</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey guys,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I got this email today, really =
brought me to=20
  think on a lot so I thought I would forward it:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>The story behind the story "The Room". 17-year-old Brian Moore =
had only=20
  a<BR>short time to write something for a class. The subject was what =
Heaven=20
  was<BR>like. "I wowed 'em," he later told his father, Bruce. "It's a =
killer,=20
  It's<BR>the bomb. It's the best thing I ever wrote." It also was the=20
  last.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Brian's parents had forgotten about the essay when =
a=20
  cousin found it while<BR>cleaning out the teenager's locker at Teary =
Valley=20
  High School. Brian had<BR>been dead only hours, but his parents =
desperately=20
  wanted every piece of his<BR>life near them-notes from classmates and=20
  teachers, his homework.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Only two months before, he had=20
  handwritten the essay about encountering<BR>Jesus in a file room full =
of cards=20
  detailing every moment of the teen's life<BR>But it was only after =
Brian's=20
  death that Beth and Bruce Moore realized that<BR>their son had =
described his=20
  view of heaven. It makes such an impact that<BR>people want to share =
it. You=20
  feel like you are there." Mr. Moore said.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Brian Moore =
died May=20
  27, 1997, the day after Memorial Day. He was driving<BR>home from a =
friend's=20
  house when his car went off Bulen-Pierce Road in<BR>Pickaway County =
and struck=20
  a utility pole. He emerged from the wreck<BR>unharmed but stepped on a =
downed=20
  power line and was electrocuted. <BR><BR>The Moores framed a copy of =
Brian's=20
  essay and hung it among the family<BR>portraits in the living room. "I =
think=20
  God used him to make a point. I think<BR>we were meant to find it and =
make=20
  something out of it, " Mrs. Moore said of<BR>the essay. She and her =
husband=20
  want to share their son's vision of life<BR>after death. "I'm happy =
for Brian.=20
  I know he's in heaven. I know I'll see<BR>him.&nbsp; <BR><BR><BR>The=20
  Room...&nbsp; <BR><BR>In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I =
found=20
  myself in the room.<BR>There were no distinguishing features except =
for the=20
  one wall covered with<BR>small index card files. They were like the =
ones in=20
  libraries that list<BR>titles by author or subject in alphabetical =
order. But=20
  these files, which<BR>stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly =
endless in=20
  either direction,<BR>had very different headings. <BR><BR>As I drew =
near the=20
  wall of files, the first to catch my attention was one<BR>that read =
"Girls I=20
  have liked." I opened it and began flipping through the<BR>cards. I =
quickly=20
  shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the names<BR>written on =
each=20
  one. And then without being told, I knew exactly where I<BR>was. This =
lifeless=20
  room with its small files was a crude catalog system for<BR>my life. =
Here were=20
  written the actions of my every moment, big and small, in<BR>a detail =
my=20
  memory couldn't match.&nbsp; <BR><BR>A sense of wonder and curiosity, =
coupled=20
  with horror, stirred within me as<BR>I began randomly opening files =
and=20
  exploring their content. Some brought joy<BR>and sweet memories; =
others a=20
  sense of shame and regret so intense that I<BR>would look over my =
shoulder to=20
  see if anyone was watching. <BR><BR>A file named "Friends" was next to =
one=20
  marked "Friends I have betrayed."<BR>The titles ranged from the =
mundane to the=20
  outright weird. "Books I Have<BR>Read," "Lies I Have Told," "Comfort I =
have=20
  Given," "Jokes I Have Laughed<BR>at." Some were almost hilarious in =
their=20
  exactness: "Things I've yelled at<BR>my brothers." Others I couldn't =
laugh at:=20
  "Things I Have Done in My Anger,"<BR>"Things I Have Muttered Under My =
Breath=20
  at My Parents." I never ceased to be<BR>surprised by the =
contents.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  <BR><BR>Often there were many more cards than I expected. Sometimes =
fewer than=20
  I<BR>hoped. I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the life I had =
lived.=20
  Could<BR>it be possible that I had the time in my years to each of =
these=20
  thousands or<BR>even millions of cards? But each card confirmed this =
truth.=20
  Each was written<BR>in my own handwriting. Each signed with my=20
  signature.&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; <BR><BR>When I pulled out the file marked =
"TV=20
  Shows I have watched ," I realized<BR>the files grew to contain their=20
  contents. The cards were packed tightly, and<BR>yet after two or three =
yards,=20
  I hadn't found the end of the file. I shut it,<BR>shamed, not so much =
by the=20
  quality of shows but more by the vast time I knew<BR>that file =
represented.=20
  When I came to a file marked "Lustful Thoughts," I<BR>felt a chill =
runthrough=20
  my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, not<BR>willing to test =
its size,=20
  and drew out a card. I shuddered at its detailed<BR>content. I felt =
sick to=20
  think that such a moment had been recorded.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<BR><BR>An=20
  almost animal rage broke on me. One thought dominated my mind: No =
one<BR>must=20
  ever see these cards! No one must ever see this room! I have to=20
  destroy<BR>them!" In insane frenzy I yanked the file out. Its size =
didn't=20
  matter now. I<BR>had to empty it and burn the cards. But as I took it =
at one=20
  end and began<BR>pounding it on the floor, I could not dislodge a =
single card.=20
  I became<BR>desperate and pulled out a card, only to find it as strong =
as=20
  steel when I<BR>tried to tear it. Defeated and utterly helpless, I =
returned=20
  the file to its<BR>slot.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Leaning my forehead against the =
wall, I=20
  let out a long, self-pitying sigh.<BR>And then I saw it.. The title =
bore=20
  "People I Have Shared the Gospel With."<BR>The handle was brighter =
than those=20
  around it, newer, almost unused.<BR></DIV>
  <DIV>I pulled on its handle and a small box not more than three inches =

  long<BR>fell into my hands. I could count the cards it contained on =
one hand.=20
  And<BR>then the tears came. I began to weep. Sobs so deep that they =
hurt.=20
  They<BR>started in my stomach and shook through me. I fell on my knees =
and=20
  cried. I<BR>cried out of shame, from the overwhelming shame of it all. =
The=20
  rows of file<BR>shelves swirled in my tear-filled eyes. No one must =
ever, ever=20
  know of this<BR>room. I must lock it up and hide the key. <BR></DIV>
  <DIV>But then as I pushed away the tears, I saw Him. No, please not =
Him.=20
  Not<BR>here Oh, anyone but Jesus. I watched helplessly as He began to =
open=20
  the<BR>files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His =
response. And in=20
  the<BR>moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a =
sorrow deeper=20
  than<BR>my own.<BR><BR>He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. =
Why did=20
  He have to read<BR>every one? Finally He turned and looked at me from =
across=20
  the room. He<BR>looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a =
pity that=20
  didn't anger<BR>me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands =
and began=20
  to cry again.<BR>He walked over and put His arm around me. He could =
have said=20
  so many things.<BR>But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.=20
  <BR><BR>Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting =
at one=20
  end<BR>of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign =
His name=20
  over<BR>mine on each card. "No!" I shouted rushing to Him. All I could =
find to=20
  say<BR>was "No, no," as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't =
be on=20
  these<BR>cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so =
alive.=20
  The name<BR>of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood.. He =
gently=20
  took the<BR>card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the=20
  cards.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp; <BR>I don't think I'll ever understand how He =
did it so=20
  quickly, but the next<BR>instant it seemed I heard Him close the last =
file and=20
  walk back to my side.<BR>He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, =
"It is=20
  finished." I stood up,<BR>and He led me out of the room. There was no =
lock on=20
  its door. There were<BR>still cards to be =
written.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." =
---Phil.=20
  4:13 <BR><BR>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, =
that=20
  whoever<BR>believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." =
---John=20
  3:16 <BR><BR>If you feel the same way forward it to as many people as =
you can=20
  so the<BR>love of Jesus will touch their lives also. My "People I =
shared the=20
  gospel<BR>with" file just got bigger, how about yours?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-David Overcash</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:webmaster@eurosoccerclub.net">webmaster@eurosoccerclub.net=
</A></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>AIM: FunnyLookinHat</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified =
Virus=20
  Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com</A>).<BR>Version: =
6.0.338=20
  / Virus Database: 189 - Release Date:=20
3/14/2002</FONT></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C1DCC8.D804D5D0--