[sword-devel] Unicode fonts on Win95/98/98SE/Me

skip gaede sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:57:30 -0400

Chris,

I have a fair amount of experience with fonts and with converting texts to
use various fonts. The problems I see are lack of widely available unicode
fonts, especially for displaying greek and hebrew, and proper display of
the fonts in a browser. Microsoft released a good unicode-capable font with
Windows 2000: I think it is called Palatino Linotype, and Netscape
(Mozilla) distributes several Open TrueType fonts (unicode capable).

Most fonts (including Symbol) do not support unicode, so if sword wants to
use unicode, we'll have to find some, especially ones that support Greek
and Hebrew.

There was also a question raised about installing fonts under Windows. This
is fairly straight forward:

1) unzip the file containing the fonts to a temporary directory.
2) In the Control Panel, select the Fonts widget and choose 'Install new
font...' under the File menu.
3) Navigate to where the new fonts are, and choose copy fonts to the font
folder.

After existing the Fonts app, you may delete the temporary directory and
the zip file if you want to.

I may have misunderstood the question. Perhaps the question was how to
programatically install fonts. If so, I have no clue.

Blessings,
Skip