[sword-devel] Opening multiple translations and note sets together

Geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:45:59 -0700

It's not quite the same as parallel displays in OLB but you can open
multiple copies of the sword at the same time in Windows. Then you can
have multiple versions open at the same time.  You can also have
different note sets open and if you want you can be on separate verses at
the same time which I don't believe can be done in OLB since it only
allows one copy to be open at a time.

On 18 Sep 2001 20:57:35 -0700 Chris Little <chrislit@chiasma.org> writes:

> > One very nice use of software that is done by OLB is that they
> have
> > from their early DOS releases made parallel displays of Bible
> verses
> > possible.  Often it is informative for readers of even good
> > translations who wish to dig deeper to see what compromises have
> been
> > made in different translations. Most of us understand that
> thoughts
> > exist first, and in order to describe those thoughts we take words
> and
> > arrange them in a suitable order so that the receiver of our
> speech
> > can understand our thought.  Unfortunately the small nuances of
> > language are often lost in translation.
> >
> > I also understand that Logos in its latest Libronix release has
> > ability to make parallel display with an add-on module.
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure why Logos decided to make this an addon rather
> than a
> built-in feature.  It's pretty simple to implement, and I think the
> BibleCS prototype can probably do it.  BibleTime definitely can,
> and
> GnomeSword has an interlinear view.  The way that the Bible &
> commentary
> panes in BibleCS display the same verse is an illustration of the
> how
> Sword uses one key to drive multiple modules.
>
> Anyway... I'll add your suggestion to the feature request list on
> sourceforge.  And assign it to Troy. ;)
>

> > I do not see that Logos has incorporated the wanted and wished
> for
> > ability for people to integrate their own works, and index them,
> and
> > make them available as a Logos Book.  This is something which is
> > possible with OLB.  Logos only offers the ability to incorporate
> small
> > notes.
>
> I don't think that was planned for Logos.  It would kind of ruin
> their
> business model.  Consider the Early Church Fathers series they gave
> CCEL--if people could turn it into a user-made Logos book, they'd
> never
> sell another copy of that text.
>
> Hermeneutika on the other hand, only makes one version of
> BibleWorks.
> You buy their whole library for one price, and that's that.  So it
> makes
> sense for them to have released tools for user-made material.  It
> can
> only enhance their product or increase sales, without cutting into
> profit.  I'm looking forward to the day that I can justfy upgrading
> BibleWorks 5, because I'd really like to see what they do in the way
> of
> content creation tools for users.
>
> What kinds of features would you guys like to see in content
> creation
> [...]
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.