[sword-devel] task

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 02:31:06 -0700

And while you're at it... we also need:

Ciphering of LD texts--
This shouldn't be too difficult since you'd be mimicking functionality
in the RawText/RawCom classes in RawLD/RawLD4

Ciphering + compression (on LD, Bibles, & commentaries)--
Ultimately I'd like ALL texts to be compressed on the site, though I
guess we could do a client-side util to uncompress for people who really
think the speed improvement is that much more important than disk space
lost.

Implement SCSU (de)compression drivers--
SCSU is the Standard Compression Scheme for Unicode
(http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr6/), which compresses Unicode
streams by using the fact that most characters in a string come from the
same code pages and therefore repeat a lot of information.  Basically,
if you use SCSU and then ZIP the result, you'll get something smaller
than either of the compression schemes alone would produce.  I'll have
SCSU (along with UTF-8/16/32) code from ICU in CVS sometime pretty soon,
but it'll still need to be worked into the library.

In answer to the original question, the real todo list is on the
sourceforge project page, at http://sourceforge.net/pm/?group_id=9516 .
Most of the stuff on the list on CrossWire has been completed.

--Chris