[sword-devel] Re: Sword/PDA

David J. Orme sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:17:10 -0500

So, what *is* Sword/PDA, really?

It's not a port of Sword to the Agenda.  I tried that, but it turns out
that the Agenda is too memory-constrained to do that.  It's entirely new
code.

It's a library that creates and reads text modules using a compressed
inverted index format.  This lets me fit a text module into about 2 megs
of space, rather than the approximately 4 megs that the current Sword
modules occupy.  Since the Agenda only has about 3 megs of spare space,
this turns out to be fairly important. :-)  The library is also designed
to be fairly easy to use by the Sword project if it wants to add an
inverted index text module driver to the Sword project.

It's also a FLTK-based Bible reading program designed specifically for
the Agenda PDA.

I decided to call the project Sword/PDA because of the debt I owe to the
people on this list and to the project to be able to do this.  This
email is a small thank-you to you all for this.

Any questions?  I'm still lurking on Sword-dev or you can email me directly!

Shalom to all!

Dave Orme
Agenda frontend maintainer

--
The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
   -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972