[sword-devel] icu-sword

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 04:21:37 -0700

> thanks a lot for all your good work.
> One question: will it also work if a user downloads and
> installs the clean
> IBM icu on his own, od does he have to use icu-sword?

Martin,

All libraries except for the data library are identical to the version
of ICU from IBM.  Our data library will be different and incompatible
with IBM's.

At the moment, everything that uses ICU in Sword would work with either
data libaray, but that will change soon as I add features that use our
custom & updated transliterators.  I'm not sure if a missing
transliterator would cause a crash, but it would definitely fail to work
correctly.

I suppose we could support building with the official ICU, with our
custom ICU, or without ICU at all, if we wanted, but you would lose
features without our version.

--Chris