[sword-devel] Creating sword modules

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:14:02 +1100

Hi!

A few more stupid questions :-).

I don't see amoungst the list of modules the NIV study bible notes.
Would people consider that a worthy addition? I am used to having
access to this.

I don't understand the issues with regards these different formats,
thml, gbf, step. Perhaps if someone can just tell me what to use
if I were to make this a project to import it.

Also what I read in the doco is that you import each verse into
sword verse by verse with the sword utility. Do you still
do that if the whole thing is in thml for example? Or is that
only if you don't have it in thml? Also for NIV study bible
it has introduction to each book as well as a table of contents
thingy. Can someone give me a clue what tags or whatever
I should use for common NIVSB components?

For example, there is a small excert below. Can anybody give
me a clue what transformations I should make to import it
properly?

    INTRODUCTION TO TITUS
    See "The Pastoral Letters."
    AUTHOR
    The author is Paul (see Introduction to 1 Timothy: Author).
    RECIPIENT
    The letter is addressed to Titus, one of Paul's converts (1:4) and a
considerable help to Paul in his ministry. When Paul left Antioch to discuss
"his" gospel (2Ti 2:8) with the Jerusalem leaders, he took Titus with him
(Gal 2:1-3); acceptance of Titus (a Gentile) as a Christian without
circumcision vindicated Paul's stand there (Gal 2:3-5). Presumably Titus,
who is not referred to in Acts (but is mentioned 13 times in the rest of the
NT), worked with Paul at Ephesus during the third missionary journey. From
there the apostle sent him to Corinth to help that church with its work (see
notes on 2Co 2:12-13; 7:5-6; 8:6).
    CRETE
    The fourth largest island of the Mediterranean, Crete lies directly
south of the Aegean Sea (see note on 1Sa 30:14; cf. Paul's experiences there
in Ac 27:7-13). In NT times life in Crete had sunk to a deplorable moral
level. The dishonesty, gluttony and laziness of its inhabitants were
proverbial (1:12).
    OCCASION AND PURPOSE
    Apparently Paul introduced Christianity in Crete when he and Titus
visited the island, after which he left Titus there to organize the
converts. Paul sent the letter with Zenas and Apollos, who were on a journey
that took them through Crete (3:13), to give Titus personal authorization
and guidance in meeting opposition (1:5; 2:1,7-8,15; 3:9), instructions
about faith and conduct, and warnings about false teachers. Paul also
informed Titus of his future plans for him (3:12).

    OUTLINE
    I.  Salutation (1:1-4)
   II.  Concerning Elders (1:5-9)
        A.  Reasons for Leaving Titus in Crete (1:5)
        B.  Qualifications of Elders (1:6-9)
  III.  Concerning False Teachers (1:10-16)
   IV.  Concerning Various Groups in the Congregations (ch. 2)
        A.  The Instructions to Different Groups (2:1-10)
        B.  The Foundation for Christian Living (2:11-14)
        C.  The Duty of Titus (2:15)

1:1 SERVANT OF GOD. Only here does Paul call himself a servant of
God; elsewhere he says "servant of Christ" (Ro 1:1; Gal 1:10; Php 1:1).
James uses both terms of himself (Jas 1:1). SERVANT. See note on Ro 1:1.
APOSTLE. One specially commissioned by Christ (see notes on Mk 6:30; 1Co
1:1; Heb 3:1). FOR THE FAITH . . . AND THE KNOWLEDGE. Paul's appointed
mission as God's servant and Christ's apostle-- further explained in v. 2
(see Ac 9:15; 22:15; 26:16-18).

1:2 HOPE. See note on Col 1:5. DOES NOT LIE. In contrast to the
Cretans (v. 12)-- and the devil (Jn 8:44).

1:3 APPOINTED SEASON. Crucial events in God's program occur at his
designated times in history (1Ti 2:6; 6:15). HIS WORD. The authoritative
message that centers in Christ. GOD OUR SAVIOR. Three times in the letter
God the Father is called Savior (here; 2:10; 3:4; see also 1Ti 1:1; 2:3;
4:10), and three times Jesus is called Savior (v. 4; 2:13; 3:6; see also 2Ti
1:10).