[sword-devel] copyright issues

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 16:11:14 +0100

Hi .......

I've noticed the issue of module text copyright seems to be getting mixed
up with the software licence issue.  These two issues are separate, and
ought not to be connected.

The copyright on modules is not, as some seem to be saying 'making
money out of God's word'.  It is simply a case of some translators
needing payment for what is a vast amount of work.  Personally I don't
begrudge them their pay.  I work as a minister for no pay.  I have retired
from my job as an engineer to give more time to ministry.  Many of my
colleagues are paid for doing the same job.  I don't begrudge them their
pay either.  Paul pointed us to the scripture that says 'you don't muzzle
an ox while it is grinding your corn'.

Why don't we just allow publishers such as Zondervan, who hold
copyrights to have the encryption key for our version of their text(s), and
release it to users on payment of the appropriate royalty?  If they wanted
to release a module unlocked on disk with the Sword software, surely
that would be OK too provided they only charged the royalty plus an
appropriate fee to cover handling, copying etc. and agreed on no charge
for the software.

May God bless you all,

Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of Arnold United Reformed Church,