[sword-devel] some more new Bible modules

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 05:28:41 +1000

Jerry Hastings wrote:

> >"No translation is infallible, therefore we make no special claims as to the
> >orthodoxy, accuracy, or helpfulness of any of the translations provided here.
> >Each reader should use the guidance of the Holy Spirit when using the
> >materials
> >provided and compare the translations against each other in their personal
> >study."
>
> I would drop "No translation is infallible, therefore ", and just start at
> "we".  "No translation is infallible" is fighting words to some and we
> don't need to invite a fight. Then I think the statement is good.

I thought about that, but i figured the people for whom that statement invites a
fight (i.e. KJV-only types) they would probably object to us providing _any_
Bible modules other than the 1611 KJV anyway.  Thus simply by offering the
translations we do, we mark ourselves as not in the KJV-only camp.

I figured if we were going to get the fight anyway, we might as well say what we
believe.  :-)  Maybe you're right, though: it's the difference between knowing
we're going to get people complaining and inviting a fight.

Paul
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear