[sword-devel] Translations and bias

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 21 May 2001 11:06:50 +0100

Hi there ......

I was delighted to see the discussion on translation and what is and what
is not to be considered 'questionable'.  Granted that some translations
may be more questionable than others, the fact is that ALL translations
suffer from bias.

The most orthodox of evangelical Christians today suffers from the
disadvantage of 2000 years of Christian doctrinal development, and
however objective he or she tries to be, there is bound to be the
occasional problem.  Maybe if all the bibles we had carried the same
level of translation noting that we see in the WEB bible we would be
better able to understand the bias in each one.  In the WEB, every
individual translator has a bias, but for the most part states it in the
relevant footnotes.

I think there is something in Matthew about motes and beams .....

I'm just grateful to have access to so many different texts - yes - even the
oddball ones.

God Bless ..... (or Yahweh bless, or the blessing of Y'shuah ben Yosef
or ....).

Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of Arnold United Reformed Church,
Nottingham - see http://www.arnold-urc.supanet.com for our church homepages).