[sword-devel] NET Bible .....

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:21:22 -0700

My comments assume making a rawtext module rather than an hrefcom for NET...

> More importantly though, the extensive notes in the NET bible do not
> lend themselves to the present Sword arrangement.  NET has at least
> two footnotes in every verse, and some of them are lengthy.

Because of the length and quantity of notes, I would suggest we do NET as a
Bible & commentary pair, essentially like the Darby/DTN pair we now have,
but bundled together.  I think I've heard this is how Logos does it.

We may want to add some keys to the config files to indicate that the two
components are linked, to support front ends automatically querying the
complementary module.

> Thinking on
> towards Sword future plans for free text or ThML text, it occurs to me
> that provision for hyperlinks to other pages will be the only
> really useful
> way of displaying the NET bible.  It might be worth making embedded
> hyperlinks capable of being used in standard modules too, with a
> suitable filter?

I don't think I'm understanding you completely, here, but ThML modules may
have hyperlinks.  There's no guarantee that the frontends will support them
though.  GBF and RTF have no way of doing hyperlinking on arbitrary objects,
though you could think of GBF's footnote, Strong's, cross ref, etc. tags as
a form of hyperlinking.

--Chris