[sword-devel] Where I stand :)

David Trotz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:02:09 -0800

Hello All,
I just wanted to update everyone who is interested in what I feel God
leading me to do in regards to "The Sword Project"
First let me start by saying how impressed I am with the level of
functionality in the Sword base and the amount of study texts available as
well. This is the first truly free and truly open bible study program I have
found, which is part of the reason why I felt led to pray about joining your
efforts in the furtherance of God's word through Sword.
What I feel God saying to me at the moment is this:
First I need to take my program "ReadingPlanner" to the next level. I have a
lot of plans to make this a better and more useful tool for users who wish
to use their computers for daily devotions and journaling. Part of those
plans involve integrating the Sword base into my program so that I can offer
a simple way for the users read their bible assignment each day, and give
them a way to journal each day as they do their devotions. From what I see
in Sword I can even implement a simple encryption on the personal journals
so that the users can keep them private.
This should take me probably six months to complete perhaps longer, I don't
know. But in doing this I will learn how the sword base code works and
become familiar with it. I may even find bugs that I may be able to fix.
Once I am finished with my project I want to devote a set amount of time
each week to the development of Sword. This is of course preconditioned that
this is what God is leading me to do. I really feel excited about the sword
project and want to become involved here and finishing my project first
seems to be the best way.
I would like to stay on this list and get to know you all better and
hopefully be able to contribute here and there as I feel led.
At this point I am curious what you all think. Am I stepping on anyone's
toes by doing what I plan to do? Does anyone object to my using the sword
base code for my ReadingPlanner? If anyone has any objections please let me
know and I will stand down wherever they occur. I want nothing but to be at
peace with you all.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I pray God blesses you and your
endeavors to use your talents for His glory.

In Christ,
David Trotz

P.S.
To see where ReadingPlanner is at this moment see:
www.uninetsolutions.com/readingplanner