[sword-devel] installmgr: please test

Brook Humphrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 05:55:10 -0800

On Thursday 08 March 2001 18:08, you wrote:
> I'm hoping to wrap up the CD image, but would like to hear feedback
> about the new linux installer.  Please let me know if it works on your
> linux configuration....
>
> You can test it by copying your current module set somewhere and then
> running the installmgr.  You should be able to delete a few modules,
> then point the installmgr to the path where you copied your original
> install set and you should see the modules that you delete available for
> install.
>
> Please don't just report bugs.  Please let me know if you've had success
> also!!!
Here goes. Sorry ahead of time for the bug reports.
this is on a linux mandrake box running mandrake 7.2 with updates and kde 2.1
and gnome 1.2.1. I have almost everything installed. I ran the install from
my hard drive rather than burning a cd first.

1. I know this one is from downloading from the ftp server but autorun,
setup.sh, installmgr.sh, and installmgr had to be set to executable.

2. while installing the files the installer does not refresh so the files
just look like they are blury.

3. On mandrake the install paths should be /usr/bin and /usr/share/sword. If
I remember correct this will be the same for redhat 7.0 and up. On mandrake
the default install of /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sword still works
however installmgr correctly installs the modules in /usr/share/sword and the
/etc/sword.conf correctly shows this for the datapath.

3. the installmgr at the bottom doesn't refresh at all during the install
process.

4. the installmgr when you select an itmem it turns completely white so that
it is unreadable. ( it simply disapears).

5. Not shure why but the installmgr only installed the packages that I
sellected into /usr/share/sword but bibletime seems to be reading all the
modules. Probably from the directory that I installed from.

6. the pixmaps on bibletime are unreadable.

7. cheatah works well and only sees the modules I selcted for install.

8. gnomesword will not even load. it complains about not being able to load
shared libraries. libgnomeprint.so. when I install the rpm compiled on
mandrake it runs with no problems. this rpm is already on the cd.

one last thing I would like to update a few more files for the cd today.