[sword-devel] suggestion

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:03:18 +0200

> We're in a development branch right now (1.5).  1.5.2 is just a bump in
> the road in the way to 1.6.0.  I think a 1.5.3 is also planned, but
> might get scrapped if everything gets stabilized and we can just push
> 1.6.0 out the door.  When 1.6.0 is out, we start handling just bug
> fixes--no new functionality.  New functionality happens in the 1.7
> branch, which we could branch as soon as 1.6.0 is released.  We're
> technically also in the 1.4.0 branch right now, if we wanted to release
> bug fixes for the stable release.  1.7 is the development branch that
> will lead to either 1.8 or 2.0, depending on whether Troy wants to do
> all the API restructuring during 1.7 or wait until a 1.9.
>
> I think the things remaining on the todo-list before 1.6.0 is ready are
> completed STEP drivers and compression support for dictionaries, plus
> any other _small_ items that creep up.
>
> The reason to wait before splitting the front-ends out is that that task
> qualifies as restructuring, which is a 1.7 task.  We're trying to
> complete the 1.5 branch as quickly as possible to move on to this kind
> of stuff.

Thank you so much Chris. This is the kind of information we need to share in
order to enable good teamwork.

I think it would be a good idea if we could manage to transfer the
subprojects (like 1.5.3, 1.6.0  etc.) and single tasks to the sourceforge
task management for sword. Thereby each interested person can get a good
overview and it's possible to show who is working on what and what the
progress is. Also collecting bugs and feature requests (can be very fruitful)
is so easy.
Forgive me about nagging so persitent about sourceforge, but it will be good
for the development process and the quality of sword.

So if you can send me a list of tasks which are planned for the subprojects I
will be happy to create the corresponding task items.

Martin (that sf maniac ;)