[sword-devel] module format

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:48:16 +0100

On 25 Jun 2001, at 14:57, Chris Little sent forth the message:

> > I've started packing some modules for Debian, but it's rather tedious
> > by hand (especially trying to extract the copyright from amongst
> > other info). I'm sure it could be automated, but the modules would
> > need to be standardised.
> > At the moment different files are included in the module directory
> > depending on the modules, readmes, copyright stuff, ...
> >
> > I would propose:
> > (1) only 1 copy of <module>.conf - in mods.d (it's too confusing if
> > there is one in the module directory as well.)
>
> I've been doing this for all new and updated modules, but I'll go
> through and clean everything after 1.5.2 is out the door.

great :)
Yep, I should've said, this is definitely post-1.5.2 stuff.

> > (2)a separate directory doc/<module> where any extra documentation
> > for the module goes.
> > (4)_only_ module data files go in the module directory
> > modules/<moduletype>/<moduledriver>/<module>
>
> I assume you mean that docs go in
> ./modules/<moduletype>/<moduledriver>/<module>/doc/, right?  Can we put
> any files in there?  Is this going to disrupt the InstallMgr, Troy?

I was thinking more like ./doc/<module>/ or maybe
./doc/<moduletype>/<module>/ so that all the docs are close to each
other so you can find them more easily (you won't need to know the
moduledriver to find the docs).
fwiw for debian the stuff in that directory will go to
/usr/share/doc/sword-<module>/ in the end so I don't mind where
exactly the directory is.

> I'm okay with placing any non-data files in a subdirectory to keep the
> main directory clean, but I still want to be able to place files of any
> name in there, like intro.txt, errata, <module>.doc, README, howto.txt,
> etc.

yep, I've no problem with anything going in there.

> > (3)a copyright directory where the copyright goes in a file
> > <module>
> > (5)the copyright could also be a specific part of <module>.conf
>
> Is necessary to have a directory, or could we JUST do it in a Copyright=
> tag in <module>.conf as you suggest in (5) and Martin expands upon in
> his reply?

That should be fine, it ought to be possible to extract the copyright from
there in a deb/rpm making script. And it's true, it's good to avoid
duplication :)

Thanks,
Daniel

P.S. Brook, is there anything in particular that needs thought about for
rpm modules?