[sword-devel] Unicode font (Arial Unicode MS) in Java

Johnny Stovall PhD sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:29:19 -0500

I'm very interested in your Java.  I just returned from teaching
at Huazhong U of Sci & Tech.  Chinese character computing is a
mess and Java/Unicode looks like the way to go.  My gifted students
agreed.
Johnny Stovall

At 10:59 AM 6/18/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Check out the font called Cyberbit at
>ftp://ftp2.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/
>It seems to contain everything needed for Chinese Unicode display.
>I have put together a Java program for displaying and searching the
>Chinese Bible. It still needs some work but it does full AND, OR, ! and
>proximity searching based on an index I created of the Chinese Bible. If
>anyone is interested in looking at it, I would be glad to post it somewhere.
>
>I would also suggest that Java be seriously considered if you are looking
>at Unicode support. It has so much functionality already built in (like
>reading in text in just about any encoding and converting to Unicode,
>etc.).
>
>Joel
>
>On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, David Burry wrote:
>
>> At 03:26 PM 6/17/2001 +0200, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
>> >Hello David!
>> >
>> >Are you emplyoed by Adobe?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> >  Some time ago I downloaded an unicode font from
>> >Adobe, this font worked very well with the chinese CHIGU module.
>>
>> I believe they have several fonts that compose of glyphs for the entire
>> Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP) as defined by the Unicode standard (probably
>> version 3.0).
>>
>> Unicode 3.1 and the three new Asian encodings it supports with extensions
>> in additional Planes poses some new technical challenges because there are
>> no font standards in place (yet) that have more than 256 or 65536 character
>> positions possible.  So far there are only 1 byte and 2 byte standards as
>> far as fonts go.
>>

>> >Do you think it's possible that Adobe sponsors a complete or nearly
complete
>> >Unicode font for Crosswire?
>> >Maybe we (Troy :) could print something like "Kindly sponsored by
Adobe!" on