[sword-devel] new/updated modules

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:35:26 -0700

> I have some questions about your new BHS module.
>
> -Which unicode font is working for this module? Where can I
> get it?

Arial Unicode MS works, but Arial looks really awful for Hebrew.
Code2000 has a nice, traditional looking, set of Hebrew characters.  But
since Sword uses Times New Roman by default, that's the font it used for
the screen shots I took.  The first two fonts can be found on the net
pretty easily, but the Times New Roman is from Monotype and comes with
Windows 2000.

> -Can you please put somewhere a screenshot online or
> send it in a private
> eMail to me so I can compare BibleTime's rendering results
> with the correct
> rendering.

Check http://www.crosswire.org/~chrislit.  There's a bhs.jpg, which
looks pretty good, but if you have a hard time seeing some of the
points, there's also a bhs.tif (about 2 mb).

The text within the verse is right to left, but verses are still ordered
left to right.  And the stream, as I mentioned, is left to right.

Some characters are composed correctly, such as the initial Bet with
combining Dagesh and Sheva.  Others do not, such as the third Alef,
which should have both a Sheva and a Segol (according to the source
text) but renders the Segol to the left of the character.  I suspect the
source text should be ameded to change Sheva + Segol into Hataf Segol.
I'm not sure where the cantillation marks went.  They were either
mistakenly removed by my processing or are just not showing up because
they are absent from Times New Roman.

--Chris