was: RE: [sword-devel] beta 1.5.2 WIN32 binary available

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:46:50 -0700

> Can anyone tell me what could be
> different. How does it find the correct Unicode font without choosing
it
> explicitly?

I'll take a stab at this, but I'm mostly guessing.  I think when you
install language packs, Windows "learns" how to handle those languages.
So, where the Chinese works, you probably have a Chinese language pack
installed.  I'm not sure of the internal mechanism, but Windows is
actually changing the font from Times New Roman, the default in BibleCS,
to SimSun.  I did rich text copy to wordpad, and all the spaces between
characters are in "Times New Roman" while the Chinese characters are in
"SimSun".

Times New Roman does not include contain codepages for CJK, but does
contain codepages for Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, & Arabic.  So
that's why you have no problem viewing LXXM without installing anything
additional.

It would be ever so helpful if you could figure out how to get the text
to work without the need for changing fonts using your new code.  I
would check whether your home computer has the SimSun font installed and
try installing the Chinese Language Pack from Microsoft if not.  In
Win2K, you would just go to the Regional Settings Control Panel, but NT4
might require that you browse to a Chinese webpage and have IE prompt
you to install the language pack.

--Chris