[sword-devel] Naming Conventions and other stuff to know

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:44:48 -0700

Jonathan, thanks for posting this info. You may want to add a glossary to
the web site that includes this and also all those terms that pop up in
this list--GPL, CVS and what have you.

>'BibleCS'- This is the name of The Sword Project's win32 front-end. Why?
>Because that is what the developers call it and so there is no reason that
>users can't call it the same thing.

On the other hand, BibleCS seems to be an in house name. The program when
you run it does not convey that name. The Icon says "The SWORD Project".
The window title says "The SWORD Project". And Help/About says "The SWORD
Project". I have not been fond of this because it is confusing when "The
SWORD Project" is so much more. But, as long as the program refers to
itself this way and in no other way, I think users will find help files and
web pages that refer to a BibleCS confusing.

I think that If BibleCS is going to be the public name, then the icon,
window title and help/about should be changed to reflect it.

>     I hope I have not presumed anything, or stepped on people's toes but
>what do people think of this naming convention.

No problem here. I can work with that. I just want to get it right before I
edit all those help topics.

>these are the names I used
>on the new Sword website, so it would take sometime to change them if I have
>to. :)

Likewise!

>I would especially like feedback from Troy because he is the Sword
>Project Leader. Whatever we decide lets decide it soon and not drag it all
>out.

Amen to that.

Jerry