[sword-devel] intro + testing programs

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:12:50 +0200 (MEST)

This is a MIME encapsulated multipart message -
please use a MIME-compliant e-mail program to open it.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format -
bitte verwenden Sie zum Lesen ein MIME-konformes Mailprogramm.

--========GMXBoundary13907994324370

>     I have written a powerful compression algorythm.  It compresses
> using a derivative of fractal compression, so it could be used to make
> the units for the sword a lot smaller, without loosing anything in the
> way of speed of use.
>
>     anything you want doing, i'll do...

Hi Chris,

welcome on the team!
I am not responsible for assigning tasks to you, there are some
things that need to be done, but I am not sure when and how.
Troy or Chris, could you say something?

A good compression algorithm is definitely a very interesting
issue. Could you give some statistics on it, how much it
compresses various kinds of data compared to the common
algorithms (zip, bzip, rar etc.). A good and fast (contradiction?)
compression will be necessary because Chris will be adding HUGE
modules soon... (At least theoretically up to 4GB ;)
It should be possible to use sword (with the most important
modules) on handheld devices which have very low space.

Another important issue is searching, indexing etc.

Martin

http://www.gmx.net

GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a
--========GMXBoundary13907994324370

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i&nbsp; have a lot of experience =
with visual=20
    basic, delphi, pascal, and assembly.&nbsp;&nbsp;I understand C =
and&nbsp;C++,=20
    but i&nbsp;don't do much programming in it.&nbsp; (it's not my =
favorite=20
    language).&nbsp; my favourite programming area is optimisation using =

    assembly sub-routines.&nbsp; I have written a couple of super-fast =
fractal=20
    generators (circa .5 second to generate full screen =
fractal)</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am also very good at beta =
testing, finding=20
    most bugs very quickly.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I could program very fast fixes, =
very=20
    quickly.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have written a powerful =
compression=20
    algorythm.&nbsp; It compresses using a derivative of fractal =
compression, so=20
    it could be used to make the units for the sword a lot smaller, =
without=20
    loosing anything in the way of speed of use.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>anything you want doing, i'll=20
do...</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>yours in christ,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Christopher =
Miller.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--========GMXBoundary13907994324370
"

--========GMXBoundary13907994324370--