[sword-devel] Windows Frontend Name?

David Overcash sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:31:17 -0500

I agree to using BibleCS as being original, it is as well also catchy.  At
least a little.  Splashscreen would also be cool, adding that and the
proposed daily devotional start-up tips would be great ideas...

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org
[mailto:owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org]On Behalf Of
dtrotzjr@arilion.com
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 5:21 PM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Windows Frontend Name?

> Actually, it was affectionately called BibleCS (as Chris said) inhouse
> because we were going to move to a more 'desktop based, user buildable'
> design like the prototype on the alpha pages.  It was intended to be a
> nice drag and drop,
> build-your-desktops,-save-them,-and-trade-with-friends type of thing.
> Hence the name BibleCS- The Bible Research Construction Set.

I noticed that we haven't decided on a name yet for the Win32 frontend. And
then I noticed a few messages from Chris and Troy and I began to sense that
there already is a name for the frontend better known as BibleCS. I propose
we stick with this name even if it isn't as catchy as some of the other
names, it is at least is unique. I doubt also that the name will ever be
used for another bible software tool so it is safe to say it won't become
confused with some of the other study tools available.  And with Troy's
definition above it makes sense.

The only reason I am bringing this up is for two reasons. 1) Jonathan is
about to finish and launch the new website (hopefully this month) and he has
requested a name to identify the software by and 2) I am about to create a
splash page for the frontend.

I plan to have the splash page display the name BibleCS and in smaller
lettering under that the phrase "Powered by The Sword Project" I have a
friend who has offered his services to make the splash page image for me and
when I get back from vacation on the 8th of July I will implement the splash
page if there are no objections to having a splash page.

The reason I feel a real splash page is needed it that currently on a 700mhz
machine it takes 3 seconds to load BibleCS. On a slower machine it takes
longer. Users may feel that nothing happened when they clicked the icon and
decide to click it again. The splash page will be very lightweight so there
should be no noticeable extension to the load time of the application.
Another reason for a splash page would be that splash pages look sharp and
in my opinion it give the application a professional and polished feel.
First impressions are the important and this will help in that first
impression for someone trying the software. Of course I will make it easy to
turn off such a splash page if the user doen't want one.

In Christ,
David Trotz